15 Nov

From the pause when I answered the phone, I could tell something was wrong.  The caller ID told me that my husband was wondering if I was ready to be picked up from work.  The woman on the other end had a different inquiry.

 “Your husband was brought in by ambulance.  He’s still talking but…how soon can you get down here?”

 I spent the next thirty minutes enveloped in the sounds that, as a city dweller, I usually find comforting – the honking of irate rush-hour drivers, yells of greeting and farewell from kids released from school, the screech of the buses lining up to take commuters home.  And of course sirens, which grew increasingly louder as I approached my destination. 

 That was the last time for many days that I would find comfort in sounds.  The caustic smell of a city emergency room greeted me, along with wails of varying length and pitch from its occupants.  The electronic swoosh of the doors as I was escorted into the sanctity of the “you really need emergency services” section of the emergency room, followed by a steady stream of questions from the team of doctors already preparing my husband for surgery.  “When did he eat last?”  “Any allergies?” “What medications is he taking?”  “Does he have a health care proxy?”

I followed the clicking of the gurney toward the operating room, the rhythmic pattern set off by one wheel with a mind of its own.  For the next several hours, the inane banter of talk show hosts and infomercials in the waiting room.  And then, finally, the ring of the telephone to say the surgery was over and the patient was being transported to the CSICU for recovery.

 In retrospect, the fourteen days spent keeping a bedside watch seem barely out of the ordinary.  The ever-constant beeping of the monitors assured me that my husband was still alive, even when he was not awake or even conscious. My vigil was broken to eat, sleep, and attend the sonogram for our unborn child.  Even as I heard the fast thumping of the baby’s heart, it did not occur to me that we would go on without a father and husband.

 The night he was released from the hospital, my husband and I climbed the stairs, pulled up the down comforter, and positioned ourselves in bed around the dogs and baby-belly as if nothing had ever happened.  Only the eight-inch gash in his chest told the tale of what we had been through.  My husband was asleep in seconds.  It was not until that interminable silence between his breaths, anxiously waiting for the next, that I asked “what if?” and allowed myself to cry.

[I originally wrote this for a local literary magazine but ended up submitting a different article.  We are forever grateful to Baltimore City Fire/Rescue, Johns Hopkins Medical Center and their CSICU for their part in this story having a happy ending. – CP]


Posted by on November 15, 2012 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 responses to “Silence

  1. Stacey

    November 15, 2012 at 11:35 am

    Wow! Great writing! My eyes were glued to the screen following the words and feeling my heart beat faster and faster… almost feeling your anxiety and fear. Holy moly, girl… what a scary thing. Glad to know all is well but it definitely makes you appreciate and treasure every moment we have with the people we love. Awesome post.

    • Chaotic Life, Happy Home

      December 25, 2012 at 11:09 pm

      Thanks for reading! It was pretty scarey, sometimes you just have to get it down in words to work through it. But we’re all doing well.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: